What is Magnesium Nitride
What is Magnesium Nitride?
Magnesium Nitride, is an inorganic substance with the chemical formula Mg3N2. It's part a quantum system of cubic crystals. At low temperatures, pure magnesium Nitride is a yellow-green or green powder but magnesium nitride with some magnesium oxide impurities is grayish white.
The magnesium nitride's molar mass is 100.95g/mol. Their density stands at 2.712g/cm3. Magnesium Nitride is completely dissolved in water and acid but partially dissolved in the ether and ethanol.
The melting point of magnesium nitride is 1500 degrees. Magnesium Nitride, just like many metal nitrides, reacts with water to form ammonia. Commonly used as a catalyst. React with acidic or aqueous nonmetallic oxidants to form ammonium salts and magnesium salts.
Magnesium Nitride is a form of ceramic in nature. Magnesium nitride has high corrosion resistance and dramatically improves productivity. Magnesium has high thermal conductivity as well having a high resistance to corrosion and resistance to temperature. Magnesium nitride also has a great significance because it serves as a catalyst production of boron-Ni.
What Is Magnesium-Nitride Used For?
1. It is used as a catalyst to creating the nitride elements with high hardness as well as high thermal conductivity. corrosion resistance, wear resistance, and extremely high resistance to temperature. In the first successful synthesizing of cubic boron The catalyst used was magnesium Nitride.
2. Used for high strength steel alloys for smelting. Magnesium nitride (Mg3N2) is a substitute for desulphurized magnesium during construction steel the smelting process, and helps to improve the density, strength of the steel, as well as the tension and bearing force of steel. In addition, the process of magnesium nitride (Mg3N2) desulfurizationcould lower the amount of other additives, thus helping to lower the cost of production for construction steel.
3. The use of ceramic is to prepare specific materials;
4. In the process of making a special alloy foaming agent
5. In the manufacture of special glass
6. For catalytic polymer crosslinking;
7. To recycle nuclear waste;
How to Produce Magnesium Nitride?
Presently, the major preparation methods of magnesium nitride are direct reactions method for magnesium powder using nitrogen, reaction method of carbon with nitrogen in nitrogen plasma flow the method of magnesium coil explosion in nitrogen atmosphere as well as low-pressure chemical gas complementing product method, self-propagating high temperature synthesis process, nano magnesium nitride synthesis method and many more.
Recently, G. Soto et al. have prepared amorphous magnesium nutride films with different Mg:N ratios on Si substrates in a molecular nitrogen atmosphere using an application of pulsed lasers. These methods restrict the production of industrial magnesium nitride due to the cost of production, lengthy process or complex equipment operation or low yields for magnesium Nitride.
While the direct reaction of magnesium powder and nitrogen can have commercial value, the manufacture of magnesium oxide powder requires higher reaction temperature and longer reaction time. Furthermore, the shape of the particles are not ideal as well as easy to agglomerate which isn't able to meet needs of industrial grade. The decomposition of NH3 may be accomplished into N- with broken bonds more easily than N2, and the decomposed H2 could interfere with the formation process of MgO. Thus, ammonia gases is an ideal nitrogen source. Chen Faqin et al. Utilizing liquid ammonia as the nitrogen source to make magnesium nitride in the form of powder via direct the nitriding process of magnesium powder. The following conclusions could be drawn: Based on thermodynamic analyses, liquid ammonia could react with magnesium powder far more easily than nitrogen and produce magnesium nitride. High-quality magnesium nitride powder with an extremely high purity and uniform particles can be made by heating them to 600 and an ammonia atmosphere for 1 hour. It is then heated up to 800degrees, with an ammonia flow rate 500ml/min and one hour of nitriding.
Magnesium Nitride Mg3N2 Powder Supplier
We are a respected global chemical material supplier and manufacturer with over 12 years' experience in providing super high-quality chemicals and nanomaterials. Examples include silicon, nitride powder, graphite powders, zinc sulfur calcium nitride, 3D printing powder, etc.
If you're looking to purchase top-quality Mg3N2 powder then please contact us and send an inquiry. (firstname.lastname@example.org)